Data fielded August 1 - 18, 2023
116 New York State museums responded to the Museum Association of New York's survey from all ten REDC regions, with representation from museums of multiple disciplines and budget sizes.
MANY compared this data to the American Alliance of Museum's 2023 National Snapshot of United States Museums, fielded in March and April 2023 by Wilkening Consulting with 340 museum responses.
While NYS museums are trending at the same rate as nationally reported data in some areas, in other areas they are lagging behind.
- 43% of responding NYS museums have yet to recover to pre-pandemic attendance numbers, averaging a 66% attendance rate compared to pre-pandemic.
- 28% reported a decrease in staff size, an additional 16% loss in staff since 2019
- 36% of NYS museums are actively recruiting for positions
- 17% reported a decrease in their museum's operating budget, while 33% reported an increase. 50% reported that their museum's operating budget remained relatively the same as it was pre-pandemic which is 13% higher than the national data.
- More than half of responding museums received some type of federal pandemic relief funding.
Click here to read and download the full report.